Join the downtown A2 coworking space dedicated to helping early stage startups make an impact
One month trial: 2 tables/$25
Being in the Startup Garage puts your company in a space where you're more likely to succeed. We start things out with a one month experiment to position each company for long term success in our community. We even postpone the security deposit!
What does the Startup Garage offer?
- Rent your own table(s), month by month
- Rent 1 table, 2 chairs per table: $250/month
- Additional tables: $125/month each (up to 4)
- Pricing of 5 or more tables by agreement
- One time security deposit: $250 per table
- Flexible access in downtown Ann Arbor
- Open access 8am to 6pm M-F
- 24/7 access available (for incorporated businesses) with key card: $50/card
- Shared resources included at no additional charge
- Flexible, open meeting areas
- Conference rooms with white boards
- Informal mentoring and community building
- Monthly Founders' Meeting with:
- One-on-one business and organizational development coaching with Startup Garage manager
- Exposure to Menlo Innovation's unique culture, processes, training, and the 4000+ annual visitors to Menlo (and potential startup business collaborators)
- In house venture capital firm
- eLab Ventures, the early stage technology venture capital fund, is co-located within the Garage
- Access to SPARK and other Ann Arbor startup support
- Residency in the Garage provides an Ann Arbor business address, required for SPARK grant applications
- Take advantage of SPARK.ed entrepreneurial discussions and workshops, within walking distance
Give us a call
If you are interested in exploring what the Startup Garage offers and whether this community might be a mutual fit, contact us! Come check out the space, discuss the possibility of a first month's experiment for your company, or just chat.
Startup Garage Manager:
Located in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor
505 East Liberty,
Lower Level (under FedEx)
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Just down the street from SPARK
Menlo Innovations is an innovative consulting company serving the tech industry through:
- Education and training
- Cultural transformation
- Software design work to achieve user adoption
- Software development work that maximizes quality and project management agility
Menlo's mission: End human suffering as it relates to the creation and use of technology.
Benefits: Why should you move your business to the Startup Garage?
Office space flexibility with:
- A low cost, one month opportunity to try it out
- Affordable, month to month leasing
- Ability to add or reduce tables as needed
- Open access to conference rooms
Community based culture with energy and focus that:
- Increases the productivity of your team
- Allows businesses to mix through co-locating
- Builds a social fabric to support each other’s success
Organic coaching to help foster a business minded approach to entrepreneurship with support from:
- Experienced entrepreneurs Rich Sheridan and James Goebel, founders of Menlo Innovations
- Fellow Garage businesses
- Startup Garage alumni
- Local entrepreneurial partners (SPARK, TechArb)
- Startup Garage manager, Christina Carmichael
- Monthly Founders' Meeting that brings all of these supporters together
Networking and warm leads among Menlo’s extensive connections including areas such as:
- Market research
- Organizational development
- Software design and development
- Accounting support
- Legal advice and more
Exposure for your business through frequent tours and other visitors to the Menlo "Factory" that:
- Brings 4,000+ people annually to the Garage
- Leads to potential collaborators and investors, as well as prospective customers
Access to SPARK’s resources, such as:
- Entrepreneur workshops
- Real estate services (once you’re ready)
- The diverse network of A2 incubators
Who's here: Meet the A2 Startup Garage portfolio of companies
OUR Current companies
Our story: Why did we start the Garage?
When a part time inventor first makes the leap to turn their idea into a full fledged business venture, there are many unknowns: How should we approach early funding? How do we balance product development with revenue generation? How quickly will we grow? And as Ansgar Strother, co-founder of local startup A2B Bikeshare, recently said, “you don’t know what you don’t know.” Add to all of this, in a real estate market like Ann Arbor, acquiring initial office space under these conditions can be a challenge.
Inspired by their own journey in co-founding the tech company Menlo Innovations, and ability to relate to the current challenges of early stage startups, Rich Sheridan and James Goebel decided to run an experiment. Starting back in 2012, they opened Menlo’s doors to companies needing their first out of home office, inviting them to set up their own pod alongside the various Menlo project teams.
3 years and 5+ successful companies later, the experiment graduated to a dedicated startup co-working space in June 2015. It’s directly connected to Menlo through a set of glass paneled garage doors, evoking the journey from inventor to full-time entrepreneur. The early stage technology venture capital firm, eLab Ventures, resides within it. The University of Michigan’s Tech Arb, a student startup accelerator, is located next door.
The close proximity to Menlo Innovations is intentional to share the energy and buzz of the open and collaborative environment Menlo embodies, as well as access to more resources, proven processes, and a culture of innovation. It also exposes each startup company to the 4000+ annual visitors who come to experience Menlo firsthand, as Menlo tours include a visit through the Garage.
With the expansion of the dedicated co-working space, companies have freedom to establish their own company identity and room to grow, as well as greater access to conference rooms, phone booths, and other resources. It also provides increased capacity: 15 - 20 companies can reside at the Startup Garage, including services, consulting, and a limited number of manufacturing teams.
Meet the Founders
RICH SHERIDAN: CO-FOUNDER, CEO AND CHIEF STORYTELLER AT MENLO INNOVATIONS
Rich is the author of Joy, Inc: How we built a workplace people love. He serves on advisory boards at the Ann Arbor Hands On Museum, Hacker Fellows, and SPARK, and was the United Way of Washtenaw County 2015 Campaign Chair. In addition, Rich serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Michigan, College of Engineering, Center for Entrepreneurship, and is on the National Advisory Board for the Department of Engineering and Computer Science at University of Michigan.
JAMES GOEBEL: CO-FOUNDER, COO, AND SOLUTION ARCHITECT AT MENLO INNOVATIONS
James serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Michigan, College of Engineering, Center for Entrepreneurship. He also serves on the advisory board for the dean of the College of Business at Eastern Michigan University. Throughout his career, he has mentored dozens of startups as well as executives of large companies.